Monday, October 20, 2008

Few days of solace and happiness


At the end of the first trimester, I knew only a few things while I was packing:
1) We didnt have a confirmed ticket for our journey
2) The car seemed to be late
3) It was good I was leaving the campus after the debacle of the endterms.

The details of the journey to the railway station is a story worthy of another post some other day, when I shall talk bout the vagaries of potholes, the awesome roads in Madhya Pradesh, the beauty of the solitude of stations such as Bhusewal and the applications of Murphy's Laws to journeys through the middle of nowhere. Rest aside, once I had landed back at Calcutta, I was pretty confident that I was through all my troubles and what awaited me was a beautiful week of pleasure and fun interspiced with good homecooked food and the opportunity to sleep for more than 16 hrs at a stretch.
Little was I to know that Mamata, the leader of the "oppressed masses" would choose that very day to unleash her vitriolic skills on the masses of Calcutta not to mention blocking all paths to the locality I needed to reach. A half hour of frantic circling later, the cab driver accepted defeat with a philosophical shrug and dropped me off at the Metro station. 45 mins later I was finally at my uncle's house. That afternoon I reached home and enjoyed 4 beautiful days till I had to board the train to come back to IIM I.

No comments: